BSc Management Studies (International Management)
Economic and business activities are becoming increasingly international. There is a great demand for individuals who are equipped with conceptual and analytical competencies in order to formulate feasible and effective management practices within a complex international setting. This BSc Management Studies (International Management major) programme is ideal for persons with aspirations of working within the global environment, whether in an organization based abroad or located in their home country.
About the Programme
Using a wide range of management tools, this BSc Management Studies (International Management major) programme will equip you to develop strategies for working outside the traditional boundaries. It is geared towards increasing inter-cultural awareness while building your core management expertise. You will stand out from other persons with management-related degrees as you will not only be equipped to deal with management strategies, finance, employee relations, but additionally, issues of culture and ethics – all from an international perspective. The programme aims to:
• Provide the knowledge and skills required to be competitive in a dynamic global environment
• Improve and expand analytical capabilities on global business opportunities in the 21st century
• Develop skills in strategic planning, problem-solving, decision-making, technology management
• Promote analytical competencies to deal with international business practices and to determine appropriate strategies for working across borders
Who is this programme for?
The BSc Management Studies (International Management major) programme targets persons who are currently working in any of the numerous areas of the management and administration within government ministries; private sector entities of business, industry and commerce; non-governmental organizations; educational institutions; and persons with an interest in the field of study.
Duration of Programme
The programme will be offered over 3 years (full-time) and 5 years (part-time).
Award of Degree
In order to be awarded the BSc Management Studies (International Management major) degree, students must successfully complete the 90 credits as specified in the programme structure.
All courses will be delivered fully online. However, some courses may have face-to-face final examinations.
When will the programme start?
This offering of the programme begins in August 2015.
Applicants must meet the University’s normal matriculation requirements in order to be accepted into the programme. They must satisfy the requirements in either (a), (b), (c) or (d) below:
(a) Holders with CXC/CSEC and CAPE/GCE A Level qualifications having:
• An acceptable pass in CXC/CSEC English A or CAPE Communications Studies; AND
• An acceptable pass in CXC/CSEC Mathematics or its equivalent; AND
• One of the following minimum qualifications:
• either five subjects (at least two GCE A Level or CAPE) and the remainder acceptable passes in CXC/CSEC or GCE O’ Level; OR
• four subjects (at least three GCE A Level or CAPE) and the fourth an acceptable pass in the CXC/CSEC or GCE O’ Level
Note: Grade requirements for CXC/CSEC subjects are General Proficiency - Grades I or
II prior to June 1998 and Grades I, II, or III from June 1998
(b) Holders of five (5) CXC/CSEC or GCE O’ Level passes or equivalent, not necessarily obtained at the same sitting
(c) Entrants with a Diploma, Certificate or Associate Degree from UWI or an approved Caribbean tertiary level institution
(d) Persons over the age of 21 who have been out of school for at least five years, on the basis of their overall academic and professional attainments
English Language Proficiency Examination
The English Language Proficiency Test (ELPT) is used to assess whether persons applying to pursue
undergraduate degree programmes at the UWI Open Campus possess a satisfactory level of writing
and reading proficiency in English for university academic purposes. For detailed information on the
ELPT, see English Language Proficiency Test.
OOL1001 Orientation to Online
IYRS1001 Improving your Reading Skills
IYSS1001 Improving your Study Skills
IYMS1001 Improving your Math Skills (if applicable)
ECON0001 Remedial Mathematics (if applicable)