Doctor of Educational Leadership in Education Systems and Schools
The EdD in Educational Leadership has been designed to meet the needs of current or aspiring leaders in education. These persons need a broad scholarly understanding of contemporary issues in education; practical skills in managing educational institutions as well as personal attributes that are necessary for ethical and transformative leadership. This broad array of competences is fostered better by a taught professional doctorate as opposed to a research doctorate, which typically requires a very narrow research focus and which is designed primarily to prepare persons for careers in teaching and research.
The programme has two specialisations: a) Higher Education, for those interested in tertiary education and b) Schools & Education Systems, for those interested in primary and secondary education.
About the Progamme
The EdD in Educational Leadership has been designed to meet the needs of current and prospective leaders in Schools and Education Systems or in Higher Education. It aims to develop:
- specialised knowledge pertaining to leadership in a diverse educational environment; educational technology, managing change in educational organizations; policies, practices, and legal issues in education; managing educational resources, contemporary approaches to educational issues and programme evaluation
- broad integrative knowledge in organizational systems, theories and contexts in education, principled practice and evidence-based practice
- intellectual skills in analytic inquiry; creativity; the ability to engage with diverse perspectives while retaining one’s regional identity; the use of information sources and technology; communicative fluency; quantitative fluency; personal autonomy; setting and achieving goals and inter-personal skills
- applied knowledge that manifests through research, innovation, entrepreneurship and leadership
- civic knowledge, attitudes and values with respect to contemporary international and regional issues such gender awareness, social, cultural and environmental responsibility; sustainable practices and ethics.
Who is this programme for?
The programme is designed for persons who are engaged in administrative, supervisory and leadership functions. These include:
- Senior teachers
- School principals
- Lecturers and administrators in tertiary level institutions
- Officials in Ministries of Education such as Curriculum Officers and Permanent Secretaries of Education
- Persons who are qualified at the graduate level and are desirous of employment in leadership positions in higher education
Duration and Award of Programme
The EdD in Educational Leadership programme will be offered over a minimum of forty eight (48) months.
The programme is delivered fully online.
The programme is a 66 credit course of study that includes:
- Core courses in Educational Leadership (8 courses)
- Specialisation courses in Schools and Education Systems or Higher Education (4 courses)
- Courses in Research Methods (4 courses)
- Research courserooms to support students in their research projects (5 courses)
- A Research Project
When will the programme start?
This offering of the programme begins in August 2015.
The general prerequisite for entry into the programme will be a Taught Masters degree in an appropriate field from the UWI or another approved University, having achieved at least a B+ average or its equivalent.
All new graduate students are required to do the Graduate Introduction to Online Learning before starting the programme.