The UWI Regional Headquarters, Jamaica. 11 September 2017 – On Tuesday 12 September, 2017, the Institute of International Relations (IIR) at The University of the West Indies, St. Augustine Campus will bring together regional, international relations experts, diplomats and academics for a public forum on the multi-level crisis in Venezuela, Trinidad and Tobago’s South American neighbour. The event, which is free and open to the general public, takes the form of two, back-to-back panel discussions.
Panel one, which begins at 10:00 a.m. (Eastern Caribbean Time) will be moderated by Professor Jessica Byron, Director of the IIR, and discusses Latin American and Caribbean perspectives on the Venezuelan Crisis. Panellists will include:
- Mr. Andres Serbin Pont, Research Director, Coordinadora Red de Investigaciones Economicas y Sociales (CRIES), Argentina
- Mr. Ivan Ogando, Director FLACSO, The Dominican Republic
- Ambassador Carlos Alzugaray, Retired Diplomat, Republic of Cuba, and
- Dr. Anthony Gonzales, Retired Director, IIR and UWI academic
Professor Patrick Watson, Director of the Sir Arthur Lewis Institute of Social and Economic Studies (SALISES) will moderate the second panel which follows at 11:40 a.m., and explores CARICOM sub-region perspectives. Speakers in that segment will include:
- Ambassador Colin Granderson, Assistant Secretary-General, Foreign and Community Relations, CARICOM Secretariat
- Mrs. Dionne Jackson-Miller, Attorney at Law, Radio and TV Journalist, Jamaica
- Dr. Mark Kirton, Retired Senior Lecturer, IIR and University of Guyana
- Ms. Rochelle Nakhid, Coordinator, Ministry for Migrants and Refugees, Living Waters Foundation, and
- Ambassador Andreas Wickham, Ambassador of St. Vincent and the Grenadines to Venezuela
The forum takes place at Lecture Room 1, Institute of International Relations, The UWI, St. Augustine Campus. The proceedings will also be accessible via livestream at www.uwitv.org. For further information, please contact the Institute of International Relations, The University of the West Indies, St. Augustine Campus, Trinidad and Tobago at Tel: (868) 662-2002; 663-1334; 662-4392 Exts: 82010; 82084; 82011 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.